Sir James Smith's School

Parent Support Advisor (PSA)

My name is Jo Ledger and I am the Parent Support Advisor at Sir James Smith’s. This is a new post which is a trial and will run until the end of this Academic Year.  Due to the limited time available, I can only work with Year 10 and Year 11 parents/carers.  If NCLT gets funding for the next school year and beyond, I will be able to work with all Year Groups within Sir Jim's.  I also have close times with Emma Williams who is the PSA at the primary schools.

I am here to support you and your child to get the very best from school by providing support, advice and information.

I do this by:

  • Working with parents and carers to try and help with issues concerning their children’s behaviour or school attendance.
  • Working in partnership with parents and carers and school, helping to access any further services a family may need.
  • Working with parents and carers to try to make sure their children are getting the most out of school and are safe and happy.
  • Helping parents and carers with other issues of concern.

Due to my dual roles as your PSA and Careers Lead, I will also be able to help your child with thinking about their future after school; Post 16, Apprenticeship and the World of Work.

You can contact me via email or on the number below:

  • Email:
  • Tel: 01840 213274

What does a Parent Support Advisor do?

The service is confidential and can support you with:

  • Parental/family concerns
  • Acting as a link between home and school.
  • Going to meetings with you eg class teacher or Education Welfare Officer
  • Behaviour management
  • Transition (moving) through schools
  • Parent confidence building and emotional wellbeing
  • Bullying
  • Child/parent relationship breakdown.

You may feel that you just want to have a relaxed chat over a cup of coffee with someone that understands the pressures on parents and carers today.

How does a Parent Support Advisor work?

Parent Support Advisors give support to families in many different ways including:

  • Someone to listen
  • One to one contact
  • Meeting with/in school or off-site
  • Parenting courses
  • Various parenting workshops
  • Accessing Adult Education classes
  • Support in referring on to other/ more appropriate services
  • Telephone/text and email.

When might you need to use a Parent Support Advisor?

  • "I have a question about parenting"
  • "I need help getting my children to school on time"
  • "I'm worried about parents evening"
  • "My child's behaviour is getting out of hand"
  • “I am worried about social media”
  • "I'm worried my child is being bullied"
  • "I'm struggling since my partner left, what can I do?"
  • "I'm not sure how to talk to my child/ren"
  • "I would like someone to talk to...."

Parent Support Advisor useful websites

Latest School News

More News